It was Christmas 2016 and I was travelling home for the holidays. I was going to meet my friends and I was looking for some small present for each one of them. Earlier that year we had some common activity in Athens that had an owl as a mascot and I knew the girls are fond of owls. So I came up with a nice and funny idea for a present: owl mobile cases.
The pattern of the cases is by Linda Cyr and is for free. It is nicely explained and it is a simple project with mostly single crochet stitches. The only tricky point about this project is to make the case big enough for the mobile you have in mind. The pattern suggests a gauge and some size, but the best is to check your own mobile. The important round is the first one of the body, which is going to be the base of the case, so it needs to be wide enough for your mobile to fit.
I made three cases in total, all of them for presents, so I was trying to have a size between my mobile, which is small, and my husband’s, which is rather big. I knew that one of my friends got a new mobile that is much bigger than average ones, so I had to ask her for the size of her mobile without giving her any hints about why I needed it. So I told her that my sister is looking for a new phone and I wanted her opinion about her own, but size was important, so she had to tell me how big her phone was!
So as explained already, I followed the instructions of the pattern and I used a CLOVER Amour 6 mm hook. For the fitting I checked how round 1 of the body fitted with the mobile. That being ok, I continued with the rest of the rounds and I was checking periodically by inserting my mobile.
I made three cases closely following the colour suggestions of the pattern. The first one was green and blue (I used Stylecraft Special DK 1259 – Bright Green for the body and Stylecraft Special DK 1829 – Empire for the wings and the head), the second one was red and brown ( I used Stylecraft Special DK 1010- Matador for the body and Stylecraft Special DK 1054 – Walnut for the wings and the head), and the third one was majestically white (I used Stylecraft Special DK 1001 – white for the whole owl). The legs and the yellow eyes were made with Stylecraft Special DK 1114 – Sunshine and the brown eyes of the green owl with Stylecraft Special DK 1035 – Burgund. For the eyes I used dark coloured Acrylic stones in different sizes and for the nose I found some nice fitting oval brown wooden buttons.
I should note that for the red/brown owl that was bigger than the size of the pattern, I had to modify the flap of the head so as to fit my measurements. I made the base as long as the the body was and then started decreasing gradually from both sides so as to make it triangular and reach a row with 3 stitches. That’s why it seems to be a bit longer than the rest of the owls.
I hope the girls enjoyed their presents as much as I enjoyed making them!
P.S. Concerning the links used here, please check my Disclaimer.